Welcome to our Tools for Life

Our blog is an area where we can share our ideas and thoughts with our readers. Interaction is encouraged so that we can have good discussion and areas of interest can be clarified. We thank all of you who participate with us on this exciting journey!

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fast Acting, Natural First-Aid for Burns

48 hours after initial burn.
Hey guys, this is Julee! So, I decided to try something new with my hair. This included using a curling iron and you'd think that by now I would know that I do not have good hand eye coordination, but being the eternal optimist I tried it anyway. Needless to say I ended up with a huge second degree burn on my neck that quickly resulted in a large, quarter-sized blister.

What a crazy blessing, because only three months ago I had made up a burn/wound salve that has been in the cupboard just waiting to be used. Right away I applied the salve to the burn and placed a bandage over it. A huge bandage, by the way. Within the first couple of hours the pain was greatly diminished and you know how intense the pain from a burn can be. That night I removed the bandage and let it air out some. I then applied an herbal oil infusion that I also had on hand to keep the burn area moist. The next morning, so 24 hours later, the blister broke but there was zero pain. I am now at 48 hours later and the burn is already to the more dried up and itchy phase of healing and still pain free! This salve can also be used on wounds, scrapes, cuts or any of those types of things. It is naturally antibacterial and very healing.

Here's a quick recipe for the salve I used that you can make yourself! Or, if you'd rather not make it, we can make some up for you at the Wellness Center.
 
Burn Salve Ingredients
  • Raw Honey
  • Comfrey Leaf or Root Powder
  • Wheat Germ Oil (other possible oils ... olive, coconut, castor ... or experiment with others!)
Use equal parts of all ingredients, mix together and apply.

The final salve is kind of sticky. When you apply it, put on a thick layer - you don't need to rub it in, just cover it with a bandage to hold it in place.

So, now I've shared with you my embarrassing hair story. Feel free to help me to not feel so all alone in this and share your own story here! If you do make up some salve, give us some feedback on your results and let us know what you used it for.

1 comment:

  1. When I was younger I had a heated curling "brush". It was round and the "bristles" stuck out all the way around the cylinder. They were METAL, so it was kinda more like a round comb because they weren't really brush bristles. Anyway, a friend and I were getting ready to go out or go to school (don't remember which) and we were standing next to each other at the mirror. This was the age of feathered hair, so I was flipping my hair with the heated comb/brush. I hit my friend. I apologized. I flipped my hair again and hit my friend. I apologized. Then I did it again - so focused I was on getting the perfect feather. After the third time I did a "home alone" pose with the brush still in my hand. So the visual on that is the HEATED METAL "BRISTLES" on my face leaving a few rows of dots down my cheek.

    I am glad that you neck is healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete